When I was younger, I didn’t understand the difference of the various cleaning products available at most grocery stores.
I knew that you could buy bleach products and others that were different chemical formulations that were chlorine-free.
I didn’t know about the dangers of mixing these chemicals, nor did I understand the dangers of mixing specifically ammonia with active bleach. One scare from a possible mustard gas exposure set me straight on what chemicals I’d use for one job versus another. It encouraged me to educate myself on what each individual chemical was and what it was designed to do. Because one quick example is when you’re dealing with mold or other fungal contamination on whatever surface is affected. Although bleach will kill mold right at the spore, many household cleaners will not. Some of them might give your tile and grout a protective barrier against future mold, but they won’t actually kill active mold. Many of these household cleaners are effectively detergent mixes, some featuring disinfecting chemicals while others do not. From this point on I decided to stick with a mild bleach cleaner for anything around the house. Unfortunately, I learned that my air handler for my central HVAC system was also desperately in need of a deep clean. I took the metal cover off the air handler where you find the machine’s evaporator coil. It wasn’t a total mess, but you could see a small amount of mold growth among the clumps of dust. The most important part is using the right cleaner. A bleach cleaner will destroy an evaporator coil, so you must buy a cleaning solution made specifically for air conditioners and furnaces.