I didn't realize that there are only carbon monoxide fumes with gas appliances

I am a first time home owner and I couldn’t be more confused.

I didn’t call the electrical company ahead of the first day of my week long move-in.

That left me without power for the first two days of trying to transition from my apartment into this house. But, that blunder was just the beginning. Next, I nearly started a fire by trying to run a microwave to an outlet across the kitchen with just a flimsy extension cord from the dollar store. The cord isn’t even grounded, so it didn’t take long for the wire to heat up and melt in varying places. I’m just happy that I discovered the problem before the house went up in flames. Even worse, I turned up the temperature on my water heater so high that I burned myself trying to take a shower. I didn’t realize that 125 degrees is the typical cutoff point for that very reason. But, this past week has seen me struggling with my HVAC system. The air conditioner needed repairs and I started to worry any number of other things could be wrong, most notably the furnace that hasn’t been replaced in over 10 years. A few searches on the web started me on a downward spiral of paranoia because the first thing that I stumbled upon was the carbon monoxide dangers with old furnaces. Since my furnace is as old as my air conditioner, which just needed repairs, it made sense that my furnace could be compromised as well. When I read the gas is odorless and will kill you in high enough concentrations, I freaked out. Thankfully, I determined that there is only a carbon monoxide danger with gas appliances and my furnace is electric.

heater